Monday, May 15, 2006

A Week of Geek



This what a satellite looks like , so if anyone asks you this is W2
Larnaca Cyprus

Now I am not the worlds greatest geek, anytime anyone mentions anything mathematical my brain turns to anti geek mode, however this week I have achieved a major victory in my technical ludite brain.

I have completed a week long course in learning the correct procedures for uplinking satellites, they are a major part of my industry and I have been around them for eight years and even on occasions have had to operate the dish we have in Jerusalem, which let me tell you was far more luck than skill and operator knowledge.

Now I can find a satellite in the sky with alarming accuracy, look at machines of lines of squiggles and align them, even down link calculate so I leave Cyprus with a great new skill.

It feels good to complete a course and have confidence in yourself, trying to find the right satellite in the sky is like someone getting a very sharp HB pencil marking a point in the sky and then turning you around three times whilst they rub it out and telling you to find it again. That is the best way I can describe finding satellites.

Cyprus is a nice place somewhere where the Greeks hate the Turks and British Tourists come to drink in Pubs and glorify the weather. The weather here is glorious a bright blue sunshine that makes color come alive, where life is very expensive and life also runs very slowly.

Could I live here, well yes if I had too, but then again it would also drive me insane with aspects, one good thing is that they drive on the right but even that scared me a couple of times in car we came to a T intersection and I swore we were on the wrong side of the road. Hence it will be a long time before I could ever drive back in Australia.

It ends with another week away from home, making me sometimes wonder where is home, Israel is home but not home that I am still searching for .. Somewhere to call home. When someone asks me where I call home I have lost that answer.

Makes me wonder what and where I am in life at times. Heading back to Israel is not going home but going back to where I live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mal,

Congrats on becomming an uplinker. Just remember, C-Band if you want boys, Ku-Band if you want girls.

And whenever NY asks, your return ALWAYS looks perfect!

Best wishes,

Ben